Monday, October 22, 2012
10 Health Benefits of Vingar
Many of us are aware of the many ways that vinegar can clean just about anything, from your windows to the outflow pipes of your air conditioner. However, how many of us realize the health benefits of vinegar?
Fifty years ago, a daily dose of an apple cider vinegar and honey tonic was used to ease arthritis pain. During the last thirty years or so when many "wonder" drugs came on the market, they replaced many of the home made remedies of our grandmothers. As we keep exploring ways for improve health, we are starting to see some medical professionals supporting those old time cures of the past. This is not to say, we should get rid of drugs, but at least, they are qualifying what our grandmothers always knew. And if I have any choices in my life, it will be to go as natural as possible with my health.
Vinegar is a weak acid. History goes back to Hippocrates' time when it was used as a medicine and antiseptic. Here are some areas that can help you by using vinegar in your health.
1. Insect bites or stings will be soothed quickly by pouring vinegar on it.
2. Pour vinegar on sunburn
3. If you drink a teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water to help with digestion, bowel function, cholesterol, and even preventing ulcers. With the latter you might have to help a little with the stress of course.
4. Salicylic acid is what you use on warts. Vinegar is acetic acid and works in the same way, however more gently.
5. Just 5% of vinegar mixed in a solution of your choice, can kill 99% of bacteria, 82% of mold, 80% of germs (viruses).
6. A teaspoon or two of vinegar will cure hiccups.
7. Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and honey mixed with enough hot water to melt the honey has been known to help with headaches and weight loss.
8. Bathing in some apple cider vinegar can help with urinary tract infections. I read someone who didn't have a bath tub, used a used cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and swabbed the urethra and it took care of the problem .
9. Apple cider vinegar has helped skin conditions from eczema to aging brown spots.
10. Apple cider vinegar helps fight against food cravings.
Grandma knew that her old remedies worked even if she couldn't explain to the scientific world. She knew that diluting vinegar in the ear would help infections due to swimmer's ear. Now, the American Academy of Otolaryngology endorses this remedy. There's something to be said about how smart grandma was.